Saturday, August 14, 2010

When I grow up...

I sometimes think about those pick-a-path books. You know the ones from when you were a kid, where you get to decide the fate of the characters by deciding if they will turn left or right, fight the monster or retreat.

Despite what a lot of people think, life is like that. Nothing is set in stone. You choose different paths to take all the time, with varying results. And while time does keep ticking on, you can turn back the pages and have a different crack at it to get to the outcome you want, just like in the books. A happy ending where you defeat the bad guy, find the treasure and become a movie star.

We are all a product of our choices, good and bad. I tell my kids that if you try something and it doesn't work, think of a different way to get it done. To get it right first time is often a fluke. Ensuring you can get it right again takes understanding and often hard work. With each failure comes more knowledge.

I asked the kids today what they think they might like to be when they grow up. Missy (5) wants to be an artist, painting and drawing. She likes it and is really really good at it apparently.
Current Sportsdude (7) wants to be a scientist so he can make cool stuff. Diva (9) says she is shit-hot at writing and loves fashion, so she should be a fashion writer (but of course, it fits so nicely).

We asked them what they thought Mischief (3) might be.
"Oh, she can probably work at the McDonalds drive through or something". High hopes abound for our smallest wee cherub, who herself declared she wants to be Dora. Your loss McD's.

Whatever they choose in the end, if they know that it's okay to make mistakes on the way they might have a better shot at happiness. Which is really what it's all about. My advice to them for choosing a career: Find something that you love to do, then find someone to pay you to do it.

I only have 1 more year before Mischief heads off to school before I get to make my next page turn. What will I be when I grow up I wonder?

2 comments:

  1. well you have been quietly blogging away over here... sharing please! glad i found you, you have a fabulous way with words - esp 'eyeball agreement' love it and gonna use it!

    i loved choose-your-own-adventure books, always retraced steps to get the happy ending too.

    the question for me seems to always be 'what won't i be when i grow up?' have changed my mind so many times that al is sick of trying to keep up... i think i am too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been quietly tapping away in case I mention what should probably be unmentionable to those in close circles! There's some things your mama doesn't need to know about. Shit, are you there mum? Bugger.

    I, too, have a big list of things not to try again, but that's half the fun of it. Note, door to door encyclopaedia salesperson is not nearly as exciting as it sounds. Actually, I had a blast meeting a whole range of people while doing that. Short story: very non-financially-rewarding, hugely life experience building.

    ReplyDelete